Monday, October 6, 2014

Yes means Yes

I've kept a secret for 20 years. As in, haven't told anyone. Ever. Until today.

A little bit of shame was released in telling my best friend, Wood, that when I was a young undergrad, doing political work, I traveled across the state as a representative for my school, and what happened to me one weekend away.

The people I "worked" with had connections to other people that had come before us. Whenever there were opportunities to do so, the generations were connected.

I was "connected " to a guy who had a "big man on campus" type of reputation. One of those people that others either really liked or really didn't like. I didn't have any information at the time, except that my people really liked him.

For this particular weekend trip, my people asked if he could share my hotel room. I agreed. I'm supportive like that.

When he was in my hotel room, in my bed, and it was time to sleep, he didn't want to sleep. I didn't say "Yes", I didn't say "No".

He raped me.

I took the morning after pill as soon as I could once I got back to campus.  And told no one. It wasn't violent, it was a violation. One that I should have had the voice to say no to. I was ashamed to have agreed to let him stay in my room. It could have been prevented. By me.

So. There it is.

2 comments:

Jo Hammers said...

We don't really know how to help others unless we have been there. When I was young, I met a minister and my story is similar. I applaud you for finding your voice. I am 70. It took me 40 years, and everyone in my family has wondered why I am not fond of ministers. Thank you for sharing. Jo Hammers the Mystic - check out my blog - morningtalkswithjohammers.blogspot.com

Paula said...

hard stuff. let it breathe.